Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Monday, October 30, 2006

Cheney must have been talking about dunking for apples?

Last week a radio talk show host asked Dick Cheney about "dunking a terrorist in water" and describing it as a “no-brainer,” to which Cheney agreed by repeating that it seemed like a “no brainer” to him. Most people interpreted the approval of “dunking” as an express endorsement of the technique known as "waterboarding."

When the White House found Cheney’s callousness towards what is widely considered to be torture a bit embarrassing, Tony Snow decided to try another snow job on reporters, claiming it is ridiculous to think Cheney would be stupid enough to approve of waterboarding.

There is one single question that one would think the media would ask: what other dunking-in-water technique has been used in connection with interrogations, to the point that the radio personality would have no need to explain what he was talking about either to Cheney or his audience?

Of course, the answer no doubt is “none,” but heaven forbid to catch the Press Secretary in a flat-out lie.

So no, nobody appears to have asked and the moment passed – or at least the media outlets chose not to show that exchange if anyone did ask it.

So I hear there’s going to be a new movie, starring Tom Cruise interrogating Jack Nicholson as Dick Cheney, that goes something like this:
Cheney: You want answers?
Fitzgerald (Tom Cruise): I think I'm entitled to them.
Cheney: You want answers?
Fitzgerald: I want the truth!
Cheney: You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has terrorists. And those terrorists have to be guarded against by men who aren’t afraid to do what they gotta do. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for some Islamic nobody and you curse the CIA. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Kareem's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me making the rules for that room. You need me making the rules for that room.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the safety I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a whip and get in that room. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!

Fitzgerald: Did you order the waterboarding?
Cheney: I did the job you sent me to do.
Fitzgerald: Did you order the waterboarding?
Cheney: You're goddamn right I did!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home