Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sad


It's always a bit sad when something you remember fondly from your youth is about to pass away. Today I learned that the Delta Queen, the last of the old time, steam-driven, paddle-wheel river boats is about to be decommissioned because Congress refuses to renew its waiver from a law restricting wooden boats to 50 passengers or less.

As a youth, I knew the owners -- their daughter was in my class -- and I visited the boat many times when it was docked in Cincinnati. I have always wanted to take the luxury cruise they used to offer from Pittsburgh to New Orleans but never got around to it. Now, I guess it's too late.

Just for fun, here's a shot of the Cincinnati waterfront in 1957. River boats by the dozens. And, no, I'm not quite old enough to remember those days!

1 Comments:

Blogger KISSWeb said...

Walldon, think that's more like 1900. Where's the Carew Tower? "Union Central" building, CG&E? That's as they were called in 1957, more or less.

10:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home