Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Friday, February 22, 2008

Debates and snow

Well, I've finally shoveled out from under the snow that was supposed to be only 2-3 inches but is already over 6 and it's still coming down somewhere between a half inch and an inch an hour, so it won't be long and I'll have to go back out.

But, in the meantime, I did want to say that after watching last night's debate it's the first time in my adult life that I've really been proud of America (or at least the Democrats). I thought both Hillary and Obama were superb, and I would enthusiastically back either of them if they won the nomination. In fact, this is only the second time in my adult life that I will be voting FOR someone instead of AGAINST someone for president.

My first presidential election was Johnson v. Goldwater, and I voted against Goldwater. The next election, I voted against Nixon. In '72 I did like McGovern, but I really voted against Nixon. In '76, in one of the worst mistakes of my life, I voted against Jimmy Carter. In '80, I guess I was about evenly voting against Reagan and for Carter, and in '84 again about evenly split between voting for Mondale and against Reagan. In '88 I voted against Bush and in '92 I voted against both Bush and Clinton (another mistake) even though I didn't really like anything about Perot except his spunk. In '96, I did vote for Clinton. In '00 I definitely voted against this idiot we have in the White House now as was the case in '04.

Going into '08, while I'm certainly against the Republicans and McCain or whoever they nominate, I will unquestionable voting FOR either Clinton or Obama.

On a related note, however, it seems that the New York Times has gone over the deep end and lost its collective mind. I don't see how anyone could have watched the debate last night and not thought that both candidates were behaving well, expressing their views forcefully, but always debating in a spirit of friendship and cooperation. Hence, when I read in the Times this morning that they had taken off the boxing gloves and really mixed it up, I thought the Times must be living in a parallel universe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home