Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Sunday, May 21, 2006

More on the "new" Al Gore

Matt Yglesias, substituting for Josh Marshall at TPM, asks a question today:

Now, along comes Mark Leibovich in The New York Times with a piece on Gore arguing that if he runs, he'll be "deeply stigmatized" in the eyes of many Democrats because of his loss in 2000. The curious thing is that he can't seem to find anyone who actually feels that way. Elaine Kamarck says she's "always been puzzled by all the hostility to Gore, especially after he was essentially robbed of the election" but nobody quoted in the article expresses any hostility to Gore, only puzzlement at the hostility that allegedly exists and belief that said possibility might be defused.

... For all I know, there's a deep wellspring of anti-Gore sentiment lurking out there someplace. But I haven't stumbled on it, and I don't see it in the Times piece. Are there Gore-haters out there? Are you one? Inquiring minds want to know.


I'll speak for myself on this one.

I did not want Gore to win the nomination in 2000. I didn't think he was a good candidate before the nomination, and I didn't think he was a good candidate while he was running. The press uses the term "wooden" which I suppose is one way to characterize his campaign. I found him patronizing, preachy, and -- as is true with so many inside-the-beltway Democrats -- unwilling to take a firm stand on important issues. He often sounded like a second grade teacher explaining something to his class of little kids. That's fine for a second grade teacher, but not for a man trying to appeal to thinking adults to vote for him for president.

That was the "old" Al Gore. As far as I can tell, he's gone, hopefully not to return.

The "new" Al Gore surfaced about two and a half years ago. The "new" Al Gore knows what he believes in and is willing to tell it to the world even when he knows some will disagree. The "new" Al Gore has fire in his belly. The "new" Al Gore is not standing around trying to figure out which way the wind is blowing on every issue before taking a position. The "new" Al Gore is willing to lead.

I like the "new" Al Gore. The Republicans will ridicule him, but who cares what Republicans do? We don't expect them to vote for him anyway. Unfortunately, the press will ridicule him too -- at least for awhile, but I suspect once he demonstrates his substance, they will change their tune. The inside-the-beltway Dems will ridicule him too, and that may make it difficult for him to win the nomination, but the inside-the-beltway Dems may be killing each other off in the battle (Hillary v. Biden v. Lieberman) leaving room for Gore to play the outsider.

I don't know whether he'll run, but if he does, and if he wins the nomination, I'll support him a lot more enthusiastically than I would support Hillary or Biden or yuck. I think he'd make a strong candidate.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home