Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

DeLay redistricting largely upheld by Supreme Court

I'm no scholar of Constitutional Law or of the Supreme Court, so I really can't comment on the legitimacy of today's decision from a legal perspective, but I am disappointed. The Court overturned one, relatively small, aspect of the DeLay redistricting plan in Texas, but left standing the changes that resulted in a six seat Congressional gain by Rethuglicans in 2004. Further, the Court said it was completely okay to redistrict at any time and that gerrymandering need not be limited to once every ten years, following the decennial census.

I wonder how the Court would have ruled if this had been a Republican challenge to a Democratic redistricting plan of a similar nature. Somehow, I have no confidence the ruling would have come out the same. Is it just me? Or has the Court lost the confidence of the public that it can judge cases in a fair and unbiased way? I think the 2000 decision of the Court to elect Bush did it for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home