Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Friday, January 04, 2008

Iowa

So what is there to say about Iowa that hasn't already been said? I guess I'll just comment that though I preferred John Edwards to the other two leaders, I am not at all dissatisfied with the result. Indeed, in some ways I feel uplifted by the fact that an African-American (half of him, anyway) can attract this much support in a lily white state. I'm also glad to see that Hillary has been knocked off her inevitability wagon. Of all the candidates, I fear she is the one who would be most anxious to hang onto the dictatorial powers that Bush has ascribed to himself. If she wins in the end, so be it -- I'll support any of these three over any of the Republicans now running -- but I'm glad to see there's hope for an alternative.

2 Comments:

Blogger KISSWeb said...

I don't worry about any Democrat holding onto the powers that Bush has arrogated, because, first, they have all disavowed them one way or the other publicly, and second, the constituency that got them elected in the first place will resist mightily. A Democratic Congress will cut back on surveillance authority and restore commitment to the Geneva Accords -- a Democratic President won't veto that -- and much of the arrogation of executive authority is in the assertion itself. It's not a structural change. Hence, fewer signing statements, none directly challenging the Congressional intent of legislation, and much more restrained use of the state secrets and executive privilege doctrines. Besides, given her political philosophy -- she is a strong liberal Democrat with a historical commitment to respect for the rule of law -- I do not think Hillary any more than any other of the Democratic candidates has fundamentally authoritarian principles. Renouncing virtually everything Bush and Cheney has done must be the cornerstone of restoring a sane foreign policy.

10:43 AM  
Blogger walldon said...

If she wins, I hope you're right.

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home