Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

No ads allowed on Air America Radio

I guess there's really no surprise that this is happening, but still:

An internal ABC Radio Networks memo obtained by Media Matters for America, originally from a listener to The Peter B. Collins Show, indicates that nearly 100 ABC advertisers insist that their commercials be blacked out on Air America Radio affiliates. According to the memo, the adverstisers insist that "NONE of their commercials air during AIR AMERICA programming." Among the advertisers listed are Bank of America, Exxon Mobil, Federal Express, General Electric, McDonald's, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and the U.S. Navy.

3 Comments:

Blogger ChiTom said...

Yeah, I just saw this too. Here's a link to the Media Matters page, which has a scan of the document in question.

A question for the high finance types (higher types than I at least) out there: I actually own stock, however little, in three of these firms-- and might be considered a stockholder in the USN as well. Is there any leverage I have with those forms in protesting this secret(?) policy? I am particularly aggrieved toward Microsoft and it's Friend-of-Bill chairman.

4:13 PM  
Blogger walldon said...

ChiTom, I too own shares in some of these companies. I suppose there's always the possibility of writing a "letter from a shareholder" to them, but I don't see much way to exercise any great leverage. I doubt it's illegal, and I don't think us Aerheads can orchestrate a boycott on our own.

4:34 PM  
Blogger KISSWeb said...

Look at the list via the link. You will see others, too. Just do it, as I did in one case exoressing a high degree of outrage at such anti-American behavior, and keep pushing the issue until it reaches the press and starts putting real pressure on these companies.

10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home