Scatablog

The Aeration Zone: A liberal breath of fresh air

Contributors (otherwise known as "The Aerheads"):

Walldon in New Jersey ---- Marketingace in Pennsylvania ---- Simoneyezd in Ontario
ChiTom in Illinois -- KISSweb in Illinois -- HoundDog in Kansas City -- The Binger in Ohio

About us:

e-mail us at: Scatablog@Yahoo.com

Friday, August 18, 2006

A weak legal decision on NSA eavesdropping

Unfortunately, it's beginning to look as though Judge Taylor's decision is weak. Here's what Publius has to say about it. (Read the whole thing for the details).

I’ve been really busy at work, and I haven’t had that much time to look over the NSA opinion, so what I’m about to say may be subject to change when I get a better grasp of the procedural history. [ed. You left one corner of your ass uncovered there buddy. Me: I uncover it by the end.] But based on my initial reading, this opinion is an atrocity. I hate to say it because I’m sympathetic to the result, but from a legally technical standpoint, this opinion is premature, unsupported, and in violation of elementary civil procedure.

...

You know, I really hate to be this harsh, particularly given that the Malkin/Limbaugh hyenas are going to attack the judge. But this is not how you do this. I think the NSA program is illegal too, and my sympathies for the administration are fairly well known. But this sort of opinion plays right into the hands of conservative critics who say liberal judges play politics. I don’t think “liberal judges” do, but this one did.

This is pure naked politics dressed up as law. It is an insult to the legal system. And the Sixth Circuit is going to squash it like a bug.

1 Comments:

Blogger KISSWeb said...

Not so fast. As far as I can tell, the court addresses each of the issues he raises, and takes them step-by-step. The opinion is based on facts that are undisputed by the government, so there is no discovery to be had with respect to those facts. In the end, maybe Greenwald is correct that the reasoning or the procedure is deficient in one way or the other, but I think the assertion of "naked politics" is absurd. Since when did trying to uphold the Constitution against government assertions of power become a partisan issue?

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home